Friday, November 9, 2007

Art Imitates Life

While in most circumstances I would never take the time to point it out, the circumstances absolutely merits the mention. Grey's Anatomy has nailed my life. Now while I wish I could say that my personal life mirrored that of McSteamy or McDreamy, in this instance I am referring to the trials and tribulation of Dr. Miranda Bailey.

To work so hard for so long and not be noticed is a burden that I might argue is heavier than the world upon the shoulders of Atlas. After all, when asked how difficult holding the Earth was, Atlas Shrugged.


Bad humor aside, the ceremonial pats on the back received for a job well done have a way of turning into slaps in the face. Crazier yet, when your invaluableness is at its zenith, people may question your reasons for continuing to put forth effort.




It's as if they know that the world is a toilet and that you are its drain but they choose to eat burritos anyway. (I need to resolve to stop ringing the bell.)

Many people can't believe that a person could truly be driven by personal pride. Slacking has become such a norm in our society that it is heralded. Why work hard when you can still get paid by hardly working? Can't really argue with that one.


But let's put the shoe on the other foot. A little role play perhaps. I might be suspicious of someone who put forth total effort all the time. After all, I would never do such a thing myself and I'm doing great. They must think that they are better than me. How dare they! If they're so good why aren't they getting the respect they deserve. They must not deserve it.

Kind of makes me sick to type that, but it's probably closer to the truth than any idealized yarn that I might spin myself. Just makes you want to leap out of your skin doesn't it? Be someone else, on a different planet with "normal" people? Maybe that is what it takes. Maybe we need to flip our roles and change their perspective. After all, I you are working so hard at playing you game, why not buy Boardwalk in theirs?

1 Responses:

Anonymous said...

Whoah .. the trial and tribulations ... late night convos aside ... recent events not withstanding -- to be noticed within the crowd and still be angry at the process ... this is Life .. not Art

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More