Saturday, January 14, 2012

Reclaiming Friday the 13th


So Yesterday was Friday the 13th. Also know as the day I came within inches of death. Friday, November the 13th, 1998. High School. Car Accident. Car flipped 7 times. Landed upside-down. Driver died. 3 survivors. There are A LOT more details, but I won't share that on an internet blog.

I crawled out the rear window. Used a cell hone to call my parents and swore that I would never complain about not being lucky ever again. I survived that accident with a scratch on my elbow that required no stitches. I truly felt like I spent every ounce of luck I ever would have in life and was more than happy with that.

Thus, irony struck when last night, Friday, January the 13th, 2012, I was in attendance at a "Press Your Luck" event, I don't think anyone there or many of my West Coast friends knew/know the gravitas of the date to me, but it needs to be said that I thought about the incident much less than usual.

And for those that care, my luck was ok. I hit no whammies, was quick on the buzzer and had a lot of fun.

The real story though is that on this Friday the 13th, hopefully things have started to change. Consider me batty, I don't care, but I genuinely think I fell some of my luck coming back. Maybe it only took 29 years of luck to survive that accident and maybe now I have paid off my debts. Time will tell, and I won't be greedy about it, but here's to things looking up moving forward.

0 Responses:

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More